Final Story
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 196 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:07 am
Discord

Storm threatens fragile Haiti

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
chenhongjuan

Moderator Points :
Storm threatens fragile Haiti Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Storm threatens fragile Haiti Right_bar_bleue

Warning Points :
Storm threatens fragile Haiti Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Storm threatens fragile Haiti Right_bar_bleue

Activity Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-11-03

Storm threatens fragile Haiti Empty
PostSubject: Storm threatens fragile Haiti   Storm threatens fragile Haiti Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 8:12 pm

Aid workers in Haiti say a storm heading toward the island could worsen a cholera outbreak that is sickening thousands of people and heap more misery on those living in tent villages since the earthquake that struck nearly 10 months ago.

More than a million Haitians live under tarps and tents in camps after the Jan. 12 quake destroyed the capital, Port-au-Prince. And in the past two weeks, the government and aid groups strained to halt a cholera outbreak that has killed 337 people and sickened more than 4,700 others.

"We are maxed out," said Julie Schindall, spokeswoman for Oxfam, an aid organization that builds clean water and sanitation systems in Haiti. "We don't have enough resources to launch a third response."

Tropical Storm Tomas had winds of 45 mph late Wednesday, but it could strengthen into a hurricane before it strikes Haiti, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said. Forecasters say Tomas could hit the island early Friday.

Tomas has already killed best replica watchesat least 14 people in the Caribbean.

Even if Tomas remains weak or skirts Port-au-Prince, aid workers worry that its heavy rains could destroy roads, buildings and hospitals already in poor condition, said Imogen Wall, spokeswoman for the United Nation's humanitarian office.

"Haiti is so fragile," Wall said. "A lot of rain in some places can cause huge problems. It's fairly bleak all around."

Hurricane Center forecasters say the storm could drench Haiti with up to 15 inches of rain, which could worsen the cholera outbreak as contaminated water spreads, said Jon Andrus, deputy director of the Pan American Health Organization.

The cholera epidemic that struck the Artibonite region north of Port-au-Prince pushed aid workers in the early stage of earthquake reconstruction to their limits.
Back to top Go down
Before
Spammer
Spammer
Before

Male Posts : 4684
Location : Everywhere, watching. In the stars. At the forests. Home. <3
Moderator Points :
Storm threatens fragile Haiti Left_bar_bleue36 / 10036 / 100Storm threatens fragile Haiti Right_bar_bleue

Warning Points :

Activity Points : 5085
Registration date : 2009-12-05

Character sheet
RPG field: 1

Storm threatens fragile Haiti Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm threatens fragile Haiti   Storm threatens fragile Haiti Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 8:16 pm

I've heard of the disease in my reading. I don't see how badly the storm may look like but I do understand the circumstances by the storm. Make some trenches for the water to go in or evacuate the state for a while until the storm is over. I do not know what to do.
Back to top Go down

Storm threatens fragile Haiti
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Final Story  :: Off Topic :: General Chat-
Jump to: